A matter of life | Pioneer
- Air pollution is turning from bad to worse
- American research institute: average Indian in Delhi and north India is going to lose over nine years of his or her life if air pollution remains at the 2019 levels.
- The worst-polluted region is the Indo-Gangetic plain, including Delhi.
- The WHO guidelines say that PM 2.5 (particulate matter less than 2.5 microns in diameter) should not go beyond 10 microns per cubic metre.
- In 2019, the average concentration of PM 2.5 in India was 70 microns per cubic metre — the highest in the world.
- Air pollution is said to have caused 1.8 million deaths in 2015
- Garbage burning, construction and transportation
- Biomass burning pollutes the air in the rural areas along with seasonal stubble burning.
- Increase municipal efficiency
- The National Clean Air Programme is aimed at cutting particulate pollution by at least a third at the 2017 levels by 2024.
- Violation of environmental rules
Hate news | Ind Exp
- Chief Justice of India NV Ramana: “everything in this country is shown with a communal angle by a section of the media.”
- The Tablighi Jamaat meeting at the Nizamuddin Markaz.
- There are no easy solutions, no statist quick fixes, to the problem that has provoked the anguished reaction of the court.
- Contrary to the Centre’s defence of the new IT Rules, which attempts to draw a line between freedom of the press and the rights of the audience “who believe and act upon misleading news”, the truth is that the press and the audience are on the same side — in a democracy, the freedom of the press is an essential and inextricable part of the people’s right to know.
Corruption – Mumbai Police | Ind Exp
- Jitendra Shinde, the head constable who was Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan’s bodyguard, earned an annual income of a whopping Rs 1.5 crore.
- As per the service rule, a government official is not allowed to have a dual source of income while in service.
- A company run by his wife that provides private security guards to film stars.
- Shinde was transferred to the DB Marg police station in South Mumbai.
- The minister gave me the name of a havaldar and asked me not to transfer him from a particular police chowki.
- Another instance that comes to mind is the heart-wrenching story of police commando Ravindra Patil, who was actor Salman Khan’s bodyguard during the infamous hit-and-run case in September 2002.
- It has been an unwarranted practice of VIPs, film-stars and politicians to demand bodyguards of their choice.
- This practice does not augur well for the police force and should be stopped forthwith.
- Once touted as a force second only to Scotland Yard, it’s a mere shadow of its former self.
- A few weeks back, newspapers and news channels carried reports of the arrested Mumbai Police officer Sachin Vaze being in possession of several luxury and high-end cars.
- Look-out notices have been issued against a sitting Maharashtra DGP.
Biden’s defence of withdrawal.. | Ind Exp
- Evolution of US foreign policy since the end of the Cold War in 1991
- Culmination of a prolonged US domestic debate
- It brings to a close the expansive American effort to remake other societies in the name of US global leadership.
- Biden now wants America to focus on — China and Russia.
- Biden’s scepticism of the Afghan war is blunt but not new, and dates back to the years when he was the vice president to Barack Obama (2009-17).
- American frustration with the Afghan occupation has been gathering pace for more than a decade.
- President Obama was not enthusiastic about the wars of intervention in Afghanistan and Iraq launched by his predecessor George W Bush.
- Obama ended the war in Iraq in 2011.
- He was eager to wrap up the Afghan occupation by 2014, but left the final decision to his successor.
- The continuity in the Trump and Biden approaches to Afghanistan points to the new consensus across the political divide on the futility of prolonged wars of intervention.
- Biden is developing a “foreign policy that works for the American middle class”.
- There is much political support for the withdrawal itself and his promise to focus on emerging challenges in the Indo-Pacific.
- India will be a reliable partner for Russia in realizing vision for Russian Far East: PM Modi
- Education Minister asks Central Universities to fill-up 6000 vacant posts by October 2021
- Govt launches AYUSH AAPKE DWAR campaign from more than 45 locations across country
- Arunachal Pradesh govt launches two schemes for development of agriculture & horticulture
- CBI arrests 7 accused in connection with alleged irregularities in on-going JEE (Mains) Exams
- India, UAE stress on importance of international community standing together against terrorist & extremist forces
- Hansa New Generation trainer aircraft developed by CSIR-NAL makes maiden flight
- India has potential to become global hub of green hydrogen in near future: Dr Jitendra Singh
- India’s COVID-19 vaccination coverage crosses 67 crore 65 lakh
- Foreign Secy Harsh Vardhan Shringla, US Principal Deputy NSA Jon Finer review regional developments
- Yoshihide Suga to step down as Japanese PM over his govt’s handling of COVID-19
- Taliban likely to form govt in Afghanistan today
- Bangladesh Schools may reopen from 12 September: Education Minister Dipu Moni
Q.) Which animal has the Allahabad HC urged to be declared as the National Animal of India?
- Asiatic Lion
- Snow Leopard
Q.) The Batagur kachuga, Batagur baska and Nilssonia nigricans are species of which endangered animal in India?
- Freshwater crocodile