Table of Contents
Ahead of MSP panel meet, Farmers seek representation in policymaking
They also want a legal Guarantee of MSP linked to District wise ares production plan
Relevance For UPSC GS Paper – Farmers Protest | MSP Procurement | Agriculture In India
- The government formed the panel to make MSP more transparent and effective as
Why do Farmers protest in Delhi?
- There are 26 members including the chairman of the committee and three membership slots have been kept aside for representatives of the Samyukta Kisan Morcha (SKM).
- NITI Aayog member Ramesh Chand, IIM-Ahmedabad professor Sukhpal Singh, IFFCO chairman Dilip Sanghani, secretaries of the department of agriculture, Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR), food and consumer affairs and cooperation and textiles also form part of the panel.
- The aim was to frame a clear charter of demands that could be included in the deliberations that are scheduled to take place in the first-ever meeting of the high-powered panel.
- Want legal guarantee of MSP linked (MSP Procurement) to district-wise area production plan
- The high-powered panel constituted by the government on minimum price MSP) following the repeal of the three contentious farm laws. In its first meeting on Monday, formed four subgroups to take up various issues and discussed matters, even as thousands of farmers once again gathered In Delhi to protest for their demand for legalizing MSP Procurement policy.
- The first sub-group will take up the Himalayan states, cropping patterns, crop diversification, and how to ensure MSP support there.
- The second group is on micro-irrigation and will be headed by Sukhpal Singh, from IIM Ahmedabad.
- The third, to be led by a representative of the National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management (MANAGE), will study “zero budget-based fannings’, including organic and natural fanning methods. The fourth will be led by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)and will take up crop diversification and cropping patterns across the country.