Concept of Controlling Shareholders
- SEBI is planning to overhaul the concept of promoters.
- This could lead to the introduction of ‘controlling shareholders’
- It is a new structure for India but it is prevalent in various developed markets.
- Promoter concept is outdated as many promoters have little or no say in the way companies are run
- The image and perception of some companies and management are also clouded by the action of these promoters.
- Controlling shareholders are de facto controler of the company.
- But their actions and powers do not overshadow that of the board or the management.
Sale of 28 CPSEs
- Cabinet gives an ‘in-principle’ approval.
- Sale of strategic stakes.
- Aggressive push for disinvestment in FY20 amid expectations that tax revenue would fall way short of the budgetted targets.
- More than 7 months of this fiscal is already over.
- So far this fiscal, the government has raised Rs 17,364 crore, or 16.5% of the budgetted target.
- The massive FY20 disinvestment revenue target is of Rs 1.05 lakh crore.
Healthcare system for middle class
- NITI Aayog: middle class is still not covered under any public healthcare system.
- The healthcare system would exclude those covered under Ayushman Bharat scheme.
- Health in India: household out-of-pocket funding is at 64%.
- “So nearly 50 per cent are still not covered under any public healthcare system and the idea is to pool their risk assets which will cater to the health care needs of the middle class,” NITI Aayog Adviser (Health) Alok Kumar said.
- Kumar opined that people falling under the middle class will not bother if they have to pay nominal Rs 200 or Rs 300 towards building a good public healthcare system in the country and the plan looks feasible.
- A high-level panel has recommended reclassifying 46 offences under the Companies Act.
- Civil wrongdoings are treated as criminal offence.
- It has also suggested steep cut in penalties for six offences.
- Companies Act will be on the table of current session of Parliament.
- The committee is chaired by corporate affairs secretary Injeti Srinivas
World Talent Ranking report
- IMD World Talent Ranking
- Its a global annual list of 63 countries.
- India has slipped 6 places to 59 rank.
- Topped by Switzerland.
- India is also lagging behind fellow BRICs countries—China ranked 42nd on the list, Russia (47th) and South Africa (50th).
- India also witnessed one of the sharpest declines among Asian economies owing to
- low quality of life
- negative impact of brain drain
- the low priority of its economy on attracting and retaining talents
- Effectiveness of the health system and women’s participation in the labour force.
Transfer of surplus money from RBI
- FM: Transfer of surplus reserves from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to the government in future will depend on net income and other financial parameters of the central bank besides the recommendations of the expert committee on excess capital.
- The surplus distribution policy of RBI is determined in accordance with section 47 of the RBI Act, 1934.
- The Bimal Jalan expert committee had submitted its report to RBI on August 14, 2019.
- The central board of RBI, in its meeting on August 26, 2019, had accepted all the recommendations of the committee and finalised RBI’s accounts for 2018-19 using the revised framework to determine risk provisioning and surplus transfer.
Q1 Privately held startup company valued at over $1 billion is called
- Elephanta Startup
- Unicorn Startup
- Pegasus Startup
- Angel Startup
Q2 With regards to current FDI policy of India in Defence Sector choose the correct option
- 49% automatic route
- 74% automatic route
- 26% automatic route
- 100% automatic route