- The Republic of Cuba is one of the world’s last remaining socialist countries following the Marxist–Leninist ideology.
- The constitution describes the Communist Party of Cuba as the “leading force of society and of the state”.
- It also ranks highly in some metrics like health care (95000 doctors for 11 million people) and education.
Status of Covid19 in Cuba
- Cuba has so far reported close to 250 cases of Covid-19, mostly related to foreign visitors, and six deaths.
- Contact Tracing and Quarantine of Infected Individuals: Communitybased doctors and nurses, as well as medical students, have been going door to door asking about recent travel, contacts with visitors from abroad
Situation In Cuba is under Control
- Cuba has dispatched 593 medical workers to 14 countries in their battles against Covid 19.
- The government has been sending doctors and nurses to help fight the virus in the Chinese city of Wuhan, as well as Italy, Andorra and elsewhere.
- One of the first Cuban medical teams was sent to Italy on March 21 at the request of Lombardy, its worst-hit region.
- In the city of Crema in the hard-hit Lombardy region of northern Italy, 52 Cuban doctors and nurses set up a field hospital with 32 beds equipped with oxygen and three ICU beds.
- Started since the First Cuban Revolution.
- 2005-2017: the unit helped 3.5 million people in 21 countries affected by disasters, such as floods, earthquakes, hurricanes and epidemics, including the 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
- Over the past 50 years, it is estimated that between 135,000 and 400,000 Cuban doctors have been sent abroad.
Henry Reeve Emergency Medical Contingent
- These medical workers belong to the Henry Reeve Emergency Medical Contingent.
- It was created in 2005 by the late Cuban leader Fidel Castro and specialises in rapid medical response to natural disasters and outbreaks.
Why does Cuba send Doctors?
- It needs the money more than ever given the tourism shutdown. US Sanctions continue: Since 60 years Building Soft Power: Cuba follows the principle of solidarity and internationalism.
- For two years the Trump administration has been trying to kill
- Cuba’s signature programs(state employed medical workers treating patients around the globe).
- “The government of #Cuba keeps most of the salary its doctors and nurses earn while serving in its international medical missions while exposing them to egregious labor conditions”
- U.S. say’s cuban medical missions are trafficking doctors