Context: The Delhi government has now brought out a new draft Solar Policy 2022 which proposes to increase its growth of solar rooftops.
About Community Solar Rooftops
- The idea of community solar rooftops: In pursuance of the policy, the government has introduced the concept of community solar rooftops where people who, either do not have rooftops, have smaller rooftops or live in apartments and complexes, can come together to install solar panels at one site and share the benefits based on their shared investments.
- This aids domestic consumers to avoid the large upfront cost of setting up rooftop solar by offering a Renewable Energy Service Company (RESCO) Model.
- The RESCO model: In RESCO model, a solar developer bears the upfront cost for installing the system at the consumer’s premises and charges a fixed fee.
- Further, policy proposes a “hybrid” version of the RESCO model where it combines the net-metering agreements between the consumers and the discoms with the power purchase agreements between the discoms and solar developers.
- Potential: Delhi region has more than 300 days of sunny days, and has a total potential of 2,500 MW of rooftop solar. Hence, the policy provides initiative to move towards sustainability.