- Do you think mandatory PhD qualification should be a compulsory requirement to teach in Central Universities? Discuss the challenges that come with such rigid selection norms?
- In 1944, the Central Advisory Board of Education on Post War Educational Development in India, also known as the Sargeant Report recommended the formation of a University Grants Committee, which was formed in 1945 to oversee the work of the three Central Universities of Aligarh, Banaras and Delhi.
- In 1948, University Education Commission was set up in under the Chairmanship of Dr. S Radhakrishnan to report on Indian university education and suggest improvements.
- Finally, in 1953 the University Grants Commission was established and made into a statutory organisation with the UGC Act in 1956.
- UGC is responsible for coordinating, determining and maintaining standards of higher education in India. UGC also provides recognition to universities in India and disburses funds to recognised universities and colleges.
- Note: Soon, the UGC will be transformed into Higher Education Commission of India (Draft bill is work in progress..!!)
Who will be professors of practice?
- University Grant Commission (UGC) after its 560th meeting has introduced a new scheme named “Professor of Practice”.
- After the notification of guidelines, the universities and institutions can hire teaching staff without any previous academic qualification and publications.
- Professors of Practice will be professors in universities who would be hired on the basis of their experience rather than their degrees (No need of PhD or PDF or number of paper published etc).
- People from all backgrounds including engineering, media, science, fine arts, literature, entrepreneurship, civil services, social services, armed forces and others can apply as per their experience and expertise.
- At least 15 years of experience is required, preferably at a senior level for the ‘Professor of Practice”. Experts in their field without any formal academic qualification can apply.
- The number of Professors of Practice who will be hired in a higher education institution (HEI), at any point in time, should not exceed 10% of the sanctioned posts.
- Professors of practice should possess the skills to carry out the duties and responsibilities.
- Professors of Practice funded by industries
- Professors of Practice engaged by own resources
- Professors of Practice on an honorary basis
- The professor of practice shall be hired on a fixed-term basis for up to one-year.
- The maximum duration of the engagement should not exceed three years and is extendable by one year in exceptional cases.
- Total service should not exceed four years under any circumstances.
Why such a decision?
- In line with the NEP 2020