- Anthony Stephen Fauci ( born December 24, 1940) is an American physician and immunologist who has served as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) since 1984.
- Since January 2020, he has been one of the lead members of the Trump Administration’s White House Coronavirus Task Force addressing the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States. Fauci is considered one of the most trusted medical figures in the country.
- Fauci is recognized as one of the world’s leading experts on infectious diseases.
- Apart from India, many other large countries, including the United States of America, are also planning to ease their respective lockdown restriction soon. • In fact, lifting restrictions too soon, especially in areas that are far from safe, could end up triggering a catastrophe, Dr Anthony Fauci, has warned.
- He warned that “really serious” consequences will imminently follow if countries are pushed towards reopening too soon
OPEN AMERICA AGAIN
- Meanwhile, the US government, having rejected the reopening guidelines proposed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), will instead be following the White House’s ‘Opening Up America Again’ plan, which includes three 14-day phases based on symptoms and their downward trajectory criteria, cases and the documentation of their downward trajectories, and lastly, hospitals and crisis care management.
- Dr Fauci reiterated the importance of adhering to these guidelines, as he added: “If we skip over the checkpoints in the guidelines to ‘Open America Again,’ then we risk the danger of multiple outbreaks throughout the country. This will not only result in needless suffering and death, but would actually set us back on our quest to return to normal.”
- In spite of the comments made by Dr Fauci and several other health experts in the US, the country continues to witness some of its citizens stage protests against the lockdown measures. Most of these protesters believe the stay-at-home orders imposed by the governments to control COVID-19 spread are an overreaction.
- One individual to emerge as the face of this anti-publichealth movement in the US is none other than SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, who earlier this week, dared authorities to arrest him for defying lockdown orders and restarting production at Tesla’s northern California car plant.